Water leaking in basement b/w frame and cement

Old 01-26-06, 12:22 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water leaking in basement b/w frame and cement

[Note I posted this on other areas as well, not sure where it best fits.]

Hi,

I have a lookout basement. There is water coming in between the wood frame of the wall in the basement (where lookout windows are above ground) and the cement wall of the house. The ground outside is below the line (we had an issue with this and dug out some of the dirt so it's below the cement line). It seems like the people we bought the house from had done some caulking in the area so they must have had water leaks in that area before (although they claimed they never had water in their basement).

Shouldn't that be sealed with that black tarp-like stuff you see sticking out from the outside (although ours is cut off)? Is cauking something that is a good way to fix this leak? Our exterior is brick, so we'd be caulking brick and cement. Is there some other way we should be fixing this?

Note that we live in IL and there is about a foot of snow outside that is melting. There is also a window right above this spot with a sill (so water can run right down to this spot).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 01-28-06, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,963 Upvotes on 1,760 Posts
It's hard to picture exactly what you're describing. If you had a digital camera and could post a link to some pictures that would be a great help.

Leaks are rarely best solved with caulking, there should usually be a mechanical solution- flashings, building paper, that sort of thing needs to be in place to prevent damage. And the source of the leak should be identified, not just caulking up areas where water is showing up.

Much of the time, vinyl siding is to blame for leaks... other times it is a lack of flashings where brick fascades meet up with non-bricked areas. Since you mentioned that there is a window above this spot, that would by the first place I'd look. Vinyl j-channels around the window could direct water behind the siding where it cannot escape. Brick sill ledges under window sills sometimes allow water behind. Rotton window sills with hidden rot underneath a storm window are also culprits of leaks. Usually the real reason any of these leaks will make their way INTO the home is a direct result of a lack of building paper, or improper installation of the building paper.

Old 01-30-06, 11:51 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leak

Thanks for the reply! I will try to take some pictures of the inside and outside and post them.

Basically, when you're inside the basement, water is coming in right between where the wood frame sits on top of the concrete wall. The insulation is soaked and water is dripping down the concrete. Also, on the outside brick, there are weep holes. Could water be coming in there?

You'd said "Brick sill ledges under window sills sometimes allow water behind." There is a concrete/mortar sill above the leak (actually, I have another similar leak in another area of the basement). Where would the water actually be getting in in this case? How do you fix this type of thing?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: