water seeping into bedroom - HELP!!!

Old 01-29-06, 05:27 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question water seeping into bedroom - HELP!!!

hello all! i have a big problem with a starter house i purchased a few years ago and figured i'd come here for some sage advice.

the problem is simple: water is seeping into the northeast corner of the bedroom whenever we have a heavy rain. i purchased a dehumidifier last summer to help remedy the situation, but as i'm sure you've figured out by now the problem has gotten out of control. the carpet permanently smells like mildew in that corner and i'm sure once i tear-down the wallpaper, the drywall will be rotted.

from what i understand, the room was an addition and it's obvious from just giving it a once over that it was poorly constructed. i have no idea what foundation they laid. the house does not have a basement and the crawlspace does not extend underneath that room. i'm assuming it must be conrete slab.

does anyone have any advice on how i should tackle this problem short of hiring a contractor? or can you perhaps point me to any books/videos that may address problems like this?

thanks in advance for listening and if you need any other info, please ask and i'll gladly oblige it.

thanks,
jeff

Old 01-29-06, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
Your explanation is kind of vague. Water is seeping in and the carpet is getting wet, on a slab foundation, assuming there is cement under the carpet.

But is there any water damage on the walls at all? Where is ground level outside this wall? Is grade below the slab? What kind of siding is there- any windows in the area, any exterior corners nearby? Some digital pictures of the exterior might help.

It's pretty impossible to diagnose a problem we can't see. But it might be due to a lack of building paper behind the siding, or perhaps the sheathing does not overlap the slab. Taking off siding and doing some investigating is the only way to know for sure.

Old 01-30-06, 06:00 PM
J
Unhappy it's worse than i thought

hey xsleeper....

thanks for the response.

the water is most definitely coming in at ground level. it is an outside corner and it appears that the "foundation" (more on that later) has sunk to about ground level.

unfortunately, the situation is far worse than i had anticipated... on several levels. i ripped up the carpet in that corner this morning, and as i expected the sub floor was rotted out (the surrounding drywall was okay). what i didn't expect was that there was no slab... no foundation... no vapor barrier.... nada. just sub-flooring on top of dirt. what were they thinking? have you ever heard of such a thing? i'm most definitely over my head here. looks like it's time to call a contractor.

Old 02-07-06, 10:16 AM
I
Originally Posted by jshirilla
unfortunately, the situation is far worse than i had anticipated... on several levels. i ripped up the carpet in that corner this morning, and as i expected the sub floor was rotted out (the surrounding drywall was okay). what i didn't expect was that there was no slab... no foundation... no vapor barrier.... nada. just sub-flooring on top of dirt. what were they thinking? have you ever heard of such a thing? i'm most definitely over my head here. looks like it's time to call a contractor.

If it's you are the first owner of the house I'd be contacting the builder, even if it's many years old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: