Dumb gutter question

Old 02-07-06, 12:15 PM
Bonesy
Visiting Guest
Dumb gutter question

I have a gutter that basically runs around the outside of my garage. It then runs down one end. I noticed while putting up my Christmas lights that there is a lot of standing water about midway along the top. I live in Florida so naturally now there is some nice algae hanging around up there. The dumb question is: Was that water supposed to flow in a slight downward direction from one side to another? I don't see any sloping of the gutter that would lead me to believe that was the case. Is it so gradual that it is not visible? In any case, is there any fix outside of calling someone to fix it?

Thanks for reading.

Old 02-07-06, 12:21 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is supposed to be a slight slope, I've heard 1" for every 16' of gutter run. As for fixing it, did you check to see if a hanger is broken? They're basically put on with small wood screws in most cases.

Old 02-09-06, 12:46 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gutter problem

Is the gutter leaking? Is water flowing over the front? If not I would leave it and just monitor it for problems.

Old 02-10-06, 04:18 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
If you have more than 1" of standing water I would repitch.

Old 02-19-06, 11:45 AM
Bonesy
Visiting Guest

Gutter is not leaking and not overlowing. It is a pretty deep gutter and I would say the most standing water I have seen is about 1". I checked the whole thing out more extensively and I believe that it was never installed properly to begin with. The sloping is very slight and sags very slightly in the middle section where most of the water is. Even so, I doubt water ever flowed properly from high to low.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: