Do i need a contractor liscense?

Old 02-07-06, 01:53 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Do i need a contractor liscense?

Hey, I am 17 years old living and working in Mississippi. I have a roofing crew working for me. We have been replacing and repairing roofs for pretty much any home owner that contacts us with a job. I do not have any insurance and do not have any sort of liscense. I was wondering if I need a liscense to continue working, and if so how to get one.

Old 02-07-06, 03:01 PM
Do i need a contractor liscense?

Originally Posted by jamison
Hey, I am 17 years old living and working in Mississippi. I have a roofing crew working for me. We have been replacing and repairing roofs for pretty much any home owner that contacts us with a job. I do not have any insurance and do not have any sort of liscense. I was wondering if I need a liscense to continue working, and if so how to get one.
I live in Ontario, Canada and I am not familiar with the requirements of my province. However, I believe as an employer that you would need to be licensed, insured and probably bonded. Check into the requirements of your state.

Oh, one other thing your age will be a factor. Every jurisdiction has a minimum age for entering into contracts, which you are doing.

Andy

Old 02-07-06, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since you are in the U.S. you most likely need a licence, insurance, workmans comp insurance, bonding and who knows what else. If you cause damage to a property you are working on, you may be paying the bill for a long time. If you are paying the crew, you better be witholding taxes and SS. It is really hard to believe that anyone would hire a minor to do work on their house. Too many things can go wrong. What are you going to do if whoever is paying for the job (mostly insurance companies) rejects the workmanship? You are still responsible for re-doing it. I wish you luck, cause you are going to need it.

Old 02-07-06, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
The following organization may have information and links that are useful to you:

http://www.buzgate.org/ms/ch_sbdc.html

In addition, you might browse the Mississippi Department of Labor website. And it will help your search if you spell "license" correctly. Don't worry, I misspell it sometimes too.

Old 02-07-06, 04:53 PM
K
The insurance premiums are brutal for roofers, at least in the northeast anyway. But you're taking a big risk here. if one of your guys falls and gets seriously hurt you will probably be facing a major lawsuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: