Basement water leak b/w wood frame and cement

Old 02-13-06, 08:23 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement water leak b/w wood frame and cement

[I posted this on many boards seeking help]

Hi,

I had posted a month ago about a leak in my basement (actually 2 leaks). Here is the original thread - http://forum.doityourself.com/printthread.php?t=250997.

I am lost as to why water is coming in there. I took some pictures of the outside and inside as requested by XSleeper. Here is the link to the pictures.

http://photos.yahoo.com/seosmp - click on the album. If you click on each picture, a brief description shows up

Leak 1 - for the leak in the corner by fireplace

Leak 2 - leak directly under the English basement window

If the caulking around the window above the leak is not sealed completely, could this cause water to show up inside the basement b/w the frame and concrete? What about the caulking/sealing around the chimney? Could this cause the leak?

Who would I call to have something like this investigated and fixed? My one mission this year is to get these leaks fixed!!!

Thanks!!

Old 02-13-06, 03:36 PM
I do not know anything about building...but I would look into (try) the following before I called a general contractor or the builder.

It appears from your photos that the landscaping is level or slopes toward the house. Make sure that the landscaping slopes AWAY from the house. Also, make sure that the drains on your gutter system is draining away from the house.

You will need to make sure that all the windows are completely caulked and sealed. I have seen a product for sealing concrete, which I would use for sealing cracks in cement.
On newly built homes there are home warranties (in Canada). If the house is still under warranty call the builder.

You may have to check the wall and chimney for water damage. There maybe more that I missed.

My thoughts and 2 cents worth.

Andy

Last edited by andy2; 02-13-06 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 06:59 AM
I'm thinking improper flashing at the base of the brick cladding. This would explain the height of the water marks.

Old 02-14-06, 07:22 AM
S
Basement leak

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, the grading is bad - it used to be above the foundation line when we bought the house in 2004! - so as a temporary fix, a landscaper dug it below the foundation line but only for about 6 inches from the wall. So one of my goals this spring/summer is to find a solution for this as well. To get it graded correctly, I think there would have to be a lot more digging (lots of $$). I have yet to find someone who knows how to do this (I'm not sure who to call).

With the recent leaking, the water was definitely not above the ground level, so I don't think the grading problem was causing the water to come in since it is coming in between the cement and wood frame - the insulation between the 2 is soaked.

The house is 8 years old so I won't be able to go to the builder. So, I do plan to have the chimney checked as well as having the windows caulked. I just wasn't sure if this could cause the problem. [Although I have another story where last July 4th I had a ton of water coming in through the chimney into my fireplace inside the house in a very bad/windy storm!]

So, how does one go about fixing "improper flashing" at the base of the brick cladding? Who would be able to do this?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: