"Curling" Dimentional Shingles

Old 02-18-06, 06:52 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Curling" Dimentional Shingles

Hi,
Not a "do it yourself" job, but day before yesterday I had a new roof installed (over one course of existing, original shingles). New shingles are those dimensional, cedar-shake-looking ones. There's a certain amount of upward "cupping" (like an inverted "U" on some parts of each tab) and the shown edge on some of the tabs are slightly curled or raised up, leaving what appears to be gaps between courses, scattered on various parts of the roof.

Asked the roofing co. about this and was told that once the weather warms (it's been in the 30's & low 40's for most of this week), they'll "settle down" and become more pliant. It's Feb. now, so he says by April, they should be more uniform. He also said: "That's the way the come out of the pack. They're not all straight".

I realize any roof-over will only conform to the existing roof underneath (which is why they nail down or remove any old shingles that are compromised), and that this promise of "settling and pliability" seems logical. But I'm wondering how true it really is.

Sure, I've got a guarantee on the labor (for four years) and the shingles are the 30-year ones. But...what if I'm just plain not happy with the aesthetic look of the things if they don't settle enough?

Thanks in advance for any input on this.
elemf

Old 02-18-06, 08:07 AM
Installing shingles over old shingles is what is giving you the curling. I doubt that will ever fix itself completely. And since you agreed to have the roof done that way, not much you can do even if you don't like the looks of it.

Old 02-19-06, 07:57 AM
elemf

Yes, Hellrazor is correct. It is the roofover causing the curling. This is especially noticeable with dimensional shingles. In addition, your warrenty on the shingles is void. Roof overs are not allowed. Now on a lighter note, your roofer is correct that shingles usually flatten once the weather warms up. However, I doubt it in your case. Your contractor is not a fault either. This was your choice. That is why we quit doing roofovers 15 years ago. Good Luck

Old 02-19-06, 05:23 PM
What Hellrazor and Jack are saying is correct because I have seen that before, however, I think I know what you are talking about and it may correct itself. It is a different situation that I have seen many times before.

Some shingle manufacturer's shingles form "humps" in the bundles as they lay on the pallet. This causes this curling and/or cupping that you are talking about. This cupping will transfer all the way up through the shingles on the pallet. Therefore, they do "come out of the pack that way".

These shingles maintain this "hump" in them thoughout the winter months because the asphalt is cool and hardens a bit. When the roofer installs these shingles in the cool weather, the shingles will be installed with these humps or cups in them (unless the roofer presses the shingle down before he nails it, which very few, if any, ever do).

If this is the case, then the shingles should lay down flatter when they heat up and the asphalt gets softer. If the shingles do not lay flat when the weather gets warmer, then I would call the shingle manufacturer and file a claim.

Good luck.

Old 02-26-06, 02:44 PM
E
Thank you all for your responses. I would have replied earlier, but had trouble logging on and getting a new password!

Anyway, at this point we have little recourse but to give it time and see how much "settles". This was only the first roofover. Only one layer of shingles underneath. But I do understand what you're saying about the final appearance and 'settling' of the new shingles is, at this point, dependant on the original, underlying roof.

Oh, and because of the concern about the warranty on the new roof shingles being voided because the job was a roofover? Well, I instantly called GAF main offices in NJ to get this straight. I was told this is absolutely not true. Matter of fact, they said they receive at least two calls a day asking the very same question. I even made them repeat it at least two more times to be sure we were all on the same page. Needless to say, I was greatly relieved to know that "slight curling" or not, the shingles still have their warranty in tact.

Thanks again for the input. I appreciate the time you took to give me the information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: