Wind Damage to Asphalt Shingles

Old 02-19-06, 10:16 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wind Damage to Asphalt Shingles

This area has been plagued by very high winds in the last 2 months. I have had to have my roof repaired twice from shingles breaking & blowing off. The 1st time it caused a bad leak into the kitchen and stained the ceiling. Fixed that. The second time it caused more extensive damage to the shingles in two places and a small leak into an unacessable part of the ceiling.

My roof is a dimensional asphalt shingle roof and it appears they haven't "set"...adhered to each other. Is there a way to go back up there with some type of sealant, silicone, or other roofing material to make them stay in place? My first thought was 100% silicone but I'm not sure that would work.

The shingles are a brownish color so plastic roof cement is out of the question. I don't want to deface the appearance. After the first episode, I went back to the place the roofers fixed (above a plumbing vent) and used a tube of roof patch to try to get them to seal. I applied a thin coat to where they normally would have set to themselves. When the second blast of wind hit, about a month later, it broke those two shingles in half vertically. That makes me think I need something that I can also apply externally, not just underneath. I am aware that you can't seal them 100% though. You have to leave some space for any water to get out.

Any experience or help you can offer is greatly appreciated. TIA

Old 02-20-06, 03:08 PM
My first thought while reading your thread, was that these are probably not wind shingles. Shingles are rated as to the mph of wind they can withstand. These are right on the package. You can get dimensional shingles that go up to 120mph+ and as low as 50 mph. The higher the wind resistant, the better the shingle as well as weight. You might try Black Jack with Neopreme. A purple tube.
Just squirt a good gob under each tab. Good Luck

Old 02-20-06, 09:32 PM
G
Today I asked an employee at Home Depot this question and he told me that his father, a local roofer, uses 100% silicone (GE Silicone II) for this problem. The guy told me right off the bat what my problem was without me telling him: they hadn't set and were nailed too high (or not nailed enough). That led me to believe he wasn't a n00b.

Thanks for your reply. I'll look for your recommendation. There's no hurry for me 'cause they're weighted down now with snow! ;-)

Old 02-20-06, 09:36 PM
When the snow melts we shall see. I really hope that is the problem. Just so you know, I do not use Silicone II as a glue. I use it as a sealent. Good Luck

Old 02-20-06, 09:36 PM
G
Oh, almost forgot, he said they were probably Tamco (spelling?) shingles and I was screwed on that deal. That on top of the poor installation. I have to hope that I can remedy the situation or at least make an attempt before throwing in the towel.

He, he, I thought I was saving money for a new digital camera....wrong!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: