Best roof ventilation with gable vents

Old 02-23-06, 09:28 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best roof ventilation with gable vents

I have a 30yr old roof with only two gable vents. The inspector noticed frosting on the nails but the roof plywood sheathing is in good condition. I was thinking of installing new soffit vents and that's all.. My concern is if I will have adequate exhaust ventilation. And what are the signs of inadequate exhaust ventilation?. bear in mind that the sofit vents will be @ 50ft long.. I fear more intake ventilation will be installed that can be handled..

thanks

Old 02-24-06, 09:17 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi, Pyro,

what type of roofing material do you use? Could you apply the ridge vents (passive)?
Or venting shingles without complete re-roofing?

In any case - you can replace your existing gable vents with some active vents forcing the ventilation (wind driven, electric turbine) .

It is almost impossible to reach "more intake ventilation than can be handled", don´t worry about that. And your soffit vents do not have run across the whole roof (continuous soffit vents), you can also use some smaller vent segments, depends on your roof construction (between sheathing and roofing).

Vilo
Moderator note: Personal and business Web/e-mail addresses are not permitted in the Forums pages. This prevents SPAM from filling your inbox.

Originally Posted by pyro
I have a 30yr old roof with only two gable vents. The inspector noticed frosting on the nails but the roof plywood sheathing is in good condition. I was thinking of installing new soffit vents and that's all.. My concern is if I will have adequate exhaust ventilation. And what are the signs of inadequate exhaust ventilation?. bear in mind that the sofit vents will be @ 50ft long.. I fear more intake ventilation will be installed that can be handled..

thanks

Last edited by majakdragon; 02-24-06 at 10:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: