sealing yankee gutters

Old 02-24-06, 02:06 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sealing yankee gutters

I just had my roof replaced (tear off), and as per my preservation district guidlines, they put up a Yankee gutter. Mine is a board nailed square to the bottom of the roof, lined with modified bitumen (sp.), and slanted so that water runs down the trough. The way the did it, the rubber is nailed to the edge of the gutter board. The board may be cedar.

Should I require them to seal the rubber to the board, and the board to the roof? I asked them, and they discounted this ('why would water go under the rubber?). But it seems very exposed, and weather here is pretty rough. I'd think a layer of tar would help keep the board from rotting out, and would not take a lot of work.

Anyone have experience with these gutters. Is my concern real? Is there something else I should do?

Thanks for your help. Josh

Old 02-24-06, 05:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Josh

Its hard to tell without seeing the rubber, but alot of those types of rubber have a sealant on the down side so they actually stick to the wood. Check and see. There should not be a problem with sealing it I would not think. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: