Metal or Shingle Valleys?

Old 02-25-06, 08:23 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Metal or Shingle Valleys?

I have gotten several quotes to tear-off and reshingle my home. The home is an 1800 SF Ranch located about 2 hours north of Detroit, Michigan. All the quotes are within a $500 range of each other. One prospective contractor (not the most expensive) recommends metal valleys. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a metal valley as opposed to the standard shingle valley?

Old 02-26-06, 11:44 AM
Both valleys are good. When you talk about a shingled valley you are referring to what is called a closed valley. It kind of comes down to your individual preference. Myself I like metal valleys. You never seem to hear of people having much trouble with metal valleys if they are done right. Just my opinion.

Old 02-26-06, 01:51 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Jack is right on.... I personally prefer the look of a well woven closed valley - but it's to each his own.....

Old 02-26-06, 02:23 PM
V
You will not spoil anyhing using the metal flashings. No matter if used for valleys, vents, windows, chimneys, etc... you will never find anything as universal as the simple steel plate (sealed, rust protected).
The problem is that you have to re-paint it again each and every 3-6 years (depends on location), anyway, it is easier to use the metal valley profiles instead of shingles.

Old 03-11-06, 04:00 PM
C
With the fiberglass shingles available today there is no reason for metal valleys.

Old 03-14-06, 08:47 AM
dougger
Visiting Guest
In the past 10 years of roofing full time the first 6 years were with metal valleys and the past 4 years have been with closed valleys or "California valleys". All of my builders have switched to the close method and all the tear offs I do get closed valleys.

With proper ice and water shield in the valleys and 26 gauge min. 16in wide min. valley metal and properlay placed nails you've just made yourself the best looking and performing valley on the market today! Make sure to roof the small piece of roof first overlapping your shingles a minumal of a foot past the center of the valley. With 3 tab shingles more care has be taken to ensure a good valley but with full tab shingles or laminate shingles it's fairly easy.

The only time I'd recommend open or metal valleys would be the in situtation were the home is surrounded by pine cone trees.

For the record of the 300+ homes roofed in the 6 year period with open valley a few leaked mostly were the top of the dormer meets the main section of roof were the ridge is. Of the 200+ homes roofed in the 4 year period with closed valley (nock on wood) none have leaked.

Old 03-14-06, 08:31 PM
I don't know anyone that does open valleys anymore, but they were once very popular and there is nothing wrong with going that route.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: