Where to buy?

Old 03-01-06, 01:21 AM
sitedrifter
Visiting Guest
Where to buy?

I am looking for either Grace Vycor Window and Door flashing (9" wide) or Nashua (Tyco product) Select 527-20 window and door flashing 9" wide.

No home center carriers either and I cannot find anyone online who does. Does anyone know where online I could purchase either of these brands window and door flashing?

Thanks

Site

Old 03-01-06, 05:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I typed "Grace Vycor window and door flashing " into my server searchbar and the first hit was the Grace website. Describes their products and has a locator for buying their products. Good luck.

Old 03-01-06, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,940 Upvotes on 1,742 Posts
They may not carry it in stock, but I'm sure you could order it from any big box store or lumber yard. In my area, Home Depot is one of their authorized dealers- if they don't have it they'll order it. If not, perhaps a siding supplier such as ABC Supply would be willing to sell it to you.

You can locate Grace products in your area by using Grace's website (graceconstruction) by clicking on "locate a distributor".

Old 03-01-06, 07:49 PM
sitedrifter
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks

Checked out abccatalog.com and ordered it. great resource this website is !

Site

Old 03-03-06, 04:36 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Grace Vycor sucks!

I have used the product several times and it is garbage. In fact, I have a friend who was driven out of business when Grace refused to stand behind their Vycor product. It is not flexible enough and does not adhere properly in cold weather. It also MUST be adhered directy to OSB or plywood. I strongly recommend avoiding the product and using a Typar or Tyvek product of the flex-wrap sort. The flex-wrap products are 100 times better. Vycor is practically useless. Everyone in my siding division will agree.
-best

Old 03-04-06, 01:43 AM
sitedrifter
Visiting Guest
The only other brand I can easily get my hans on is Nashua which is also supposed to be good down to 20 degrees except they make it in 6" not 9". I will obviously test a piece when I get it delivered and if not acecptable, I will return it.

Mark

Old 03-08-06, 03:45 AM
sitedrifter
Visiting Guest
received the Vycor yesterday and last night, I left a piecs of 1x12 outside all night and I also have my roof being done so there were a few sheets of 29 year old sheathing on the ground too. I stuck a piece to the 1x12 stock as well as the old sheathing ( wood was also a little bit damp from from being outside all night) and it stuck. Smoothed it out so no air bubbles too. Now, could I peel it off, absolutely especially being at the minimum temperatur of 25 degrees for the Vycor as well as the wood being ever so slightly damp.

I am confident it will work well especially since the manufacturer (as well as all other brands too) states to mechanically fasten the vycor at the ends using stpales or nails to prevent accidental peel back.

I like this stuff!

Site

Old 03-08-06, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,940 Upvotes on 1,742 Posts
Not sure but I also believe that vycor states that it takes several hours of contact for it to reach it's peak adhesiveness. Putting it on and peeling it right back off doesn't give it much time to bond. Additionally, I've seen some recommend the use of a j-roller to aid in securing the membrane- like a small rolling pin on a handle- it exerts more force on the membrane than you can apply just using your hand to smooth and press it down.

Regarding the negative comment about Vycor, I could say a lot of things, but I'll just say that I've been more than happy with Vycor, and I have used both Tyvek straightflash and flexwrap. They work fine as well, though they cost more. I usually use flexwrap for pan flashings and the tops of curved windows. At over $2 per ft, I use it sparingly.

Old 03-12-06, 09:39 AM
sitedrifter
Visiting Guest
I did all the windows with the Vycor and it ROCKS! Stuck real well in the 45 degree day.

Site

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: