Vaulted Ceiling Leak

Old 03-01-06, 08:31 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vaulted Ceiling Leak

We have two leak "spots" showing up within a few feet of each other along the ridge where the vaulted ceiling meets the wall. I would suppose that they're probably originating from (or nearly from) the same source. The vaulted ceiling is a "side" room (our Great Room) that is not under the second floor of the house (I hope that makes sense). The location of the staining is directly underneath where the sloping of the roof meets the vertical wall of the second story of the house. I am venturing to guess that the problem is located somewhere around the flashing that along a horizontal section of roof designed to form a valley for water to run off. I know I'm not making this very clear at this point.

At any rate, I have two different roofing companies coming out to give me estimates. One will be Friday and the other next week. Of course, if the first company can start right away, more power to them.

The house is 14 years old, we just bought it, and I do -not- have the money for a roof replacement. My question is this: How do roofing companies detect the source of a leak above a vaulted ceiling with no attic access? Are they going to have to tear down the ceiling? Matching popcorn is not an easy task!

Old 03-03-06, 05:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are several methods to locate leaks. Tearing down a ceiling is not one of them. At first they will carefully inspect the roof intersection where it is flashed. A good roofer may be able to spot the area water is coming in. another method is to run a garden hole along the flashing until the leak shows up. But, my guess is that they will probably replace the whole flashing or maybe reseal it. I can't see your roof, but I know what your talking about. The call is made on the roof. I don't expect this to be a cheap fix, unless the leak is fairly obvious. Having a leak in your roof, and it dripping into your ceilling is not a good thing. You are already mentioning the price. Just remember, if you pay cheap, you will get cheap, and on a roof, cheap will cost you three or four times the money within a year. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: