attic venting

Old 03-04-06, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
attic venting

i recently replaced roof thanks to Katrina........previously i had, and still retain a power vent.....and
during the re-roofing, i had a ridge vent installed.............
can both vents operate productively or does one negate the other?
that is, should i continue to utilize power vent , or shut it off?
thanks.........ejpo

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-06, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 214 Votes on 199 Posts
An inspection was done on a similar situation that existed on a building in my area, and the inspector advised that the power vent be completely removed. The reasoning being that the power vent interferes with the natural flow of air from soffit to ridge. A power vent could just as easily be pulling air into the ridge vent (using it as an intake) rather than pulling air in though the soffits as most ventilation is designed to be taken from.

Unless your power vent is there to ensure the temperature or humidity does not exceed a certain recommended level, I'd suggest you not only disconnnect but that you remove it.

Old 03-05-06, 12:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Too much?

You can't really have too much venting. You probably don't need to run the power vent any longer (assuming that you have vents at the soffets) but it won't hurt anything if you allow it to run.
-Best

Old 03-05-06, 06:09 AM
sitedrifter
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by bestmetalroof
You can't really have too much venting. You probably don't need to run the power vent any longer (assuming that you have vents at the soffets) but it won't hurt anything if you allow it to run.
-Best

This is wrong. Most likely you have an unbalanced system right now and as one poster said, you might pull air in through the ridge with the power fan, negating proper flow.

I went through these same questions a month or so ago and researched it and found, no power venting with a ridge vent, just about everywhere that talked about proper roof venting.

I am going with soffit vents and a ridge vent and am having my power vent removed and the gable vents closed off. Checkout GAF , Owens Corning and other shingle manufacturers websites. They all talk about proper roof ventilation and will help you understand what you need.

Site