New ROOF in the rain

Old 03-20-06, 06:01 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question New ROOF in the rain

I am having a new home built. On Friday 3-17 the builder put the decking up and placed the felt paper over it. It has been raining ever since 3 days of light rain and a couple more to come says the weather man.
The felt paper has bubble/wrinkled up. Will this cause trouble and how long should the builder wait for the felt paper to dry before the shingles are put on or should they?

Old 03-20-06, 08:17 PM
Your roof is probably just fine. You felt is oil coated so it is not wet. Your builder will not shingle until the weather gets better. He did right by putting on the felt. It will be fine.

Old 03-25-06, 07:22 AM
Be glad he got it dried in before the rains. You should be OK.

Old 03-25-06, 09:30 AM
dougger
Visiting Guest
You will be ok.

I don't care much for roofing in the rain but on a couple occasions with really tight deadlines I've found myself over the past 10 years laying shingles over wet paper and found no issues years later. It's actually rather common to open a bundle of shingles from a lumber yard who stores there shingles outside to find every shingle in the package wet on both the top and bottom. These shingles will dry out just like the wet felt and perform good.

Like I said, I don't like roofing in the rain but have done it with no problems.

Old 03-25-06, 02:13 PM
When the sun comes out that tarpaper will lay flat again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: