Gutters not right?

Old 03-21-06, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gutters not right?

I've recently noticed that when there is a heavy rain I can see water dripping from between the gutter and the house (soffit?). I have made sure that water does still exit from the gutter at the downspout, however this can't be working right.
I bought this house last year, and while looking at the house was told that it had been sided less than 5 years before.
I'm wondering if the original gutters were re-installed after the siding job and maybe not properly installed and pitched?

I have not yet climbed up to get a closer look at the gutters themselves....does anyone have any advice concerning this problem before I do?

Many thanks,

Joseph

Old 03-21-06, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,641 Likes on 1,469 Posts
I would just guess that your roof has a small d-style drip edge, which does not provide much of a lip for the gutter to slip under. If you get up on a ladder, you should be able to observe whether the back edge of the gutter is underneath the flashing or exposed.

Gutter apron is the appropriate flashing to use above gutters because it is longer and does a better job of flashing the gutter. Unfortunately, gutter apron is unheard of in many parts of the US, and all they use is d-style drip edge.

An easy solution would be to get some 1 1/2" strips of galvanized sheet metal from an HVAC guy or aluminum trim coil from a siding & window guy. Place these strips under your roof edge and over your gutter, then secure it with a few self-tapping screws.

Old 03-23-06, 02:02 PM
Thanks XSleeper, I'm going to get up there this weekend and give it a look.
Can't see much from the ground but your suggestion sounds very logical....I'll follow up after I've had a look at the gutter up close.

JOE

Old 03-24-06, 03:03 PM
clarification?

Should I be fastening the flashing to the roof, under the shingles.....or into the fascia?

Old 03-24-06, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
The bottom edge of the flashing should overlap the gutter, and the top edge should slip behind your existing metal drip edge.

Since you've asked this question, it makes me wonder if you have any drip edge at all?

If you don't have drip edge, you would probably want to purchase gutter apron (or standard drip edge) and install it so that the top edge is underneath the shingles, and the bottom edge overlaps the back edge of the gutter.

To compare drip edge and gutter apron, you can look at the following illustration:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thexsleeper/detail?.dir=af9d&.dnm=750b.jpg

Old 03-25-06, 11:15 AM
Question self tapping?

You mentioned using self-tapping screws when securing the drip edge.
I'm assuming that I will drive self-tapping screws through the edge that goes under the shingles and then just hang the other end into the gutter....is that right?

again thanks for your replies.

JOE

Old 03-25-06, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, if you have metal drip edge, I would just slip that extra strip of metal underneath the bottom edge of the drip edge, make sure it overhangs the back of the gutter, and then install a few sheetmetal screws or self-tapping screws right through the metal drip edge, so that it pulls the metal strip (that you stuck behind) up tight.

Old 03-28-06, 05:37 AM
Talking All done.

Thanks for your help XSleeper.
There was an existing drip edge....and there was a pretty good gap between the back edge of the gutter and the drip edge.
I installed strips of flashing to bridge the gap and secured it with sheet metal screws.

thanks,

JOE

Old 03-28-06, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Thumbs up

Nice job then! Hope that takes care of the leaks for ya.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: