gutter installation

Old 04-03-06, 11:30 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gutter installation

I've never installed a gutter, but need to put up a couple of 25-foot runs plus a downspout. Is this relatively easy work? Do I need to allow a slight slope for optimal drainage, or just hang 'em level?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-06, 12:01 PM
B
you should always hang them level. How easy it is to instal will largely depend on the shape of the sofit your installing to. If in poor shape you can knock pieces out of it with those big gutter nails. If you are having trouble driving the gutter nails you might try to predrill just a bit to avoid that but usually not necessary. Downspouts etc. are generally pop riveted with aluminum rivets to prevent rusting. These are not very expensive. Obvious I know, but be carefull up on ladders etc. Gutters are fairly simple and you should have no real trouble.

Old 04-03-06, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
The gutter subcontractors that install for us always give the gutter a little drop on the ends where the "drops" and downspouts are located. On hip roofs this is usually on the corners. Water seeks its own level, so you don't need a tremendous amount of drop, so for the most part, I agree with hanging them level.

Old 04-03-06, 03:55 PM
W
I installed gutters on my new addition a couple of years ago. The instructions that came with the gutters recommended a drop of 1/2" for every 10' of gutter.
It makes sense to me for the same reason that plumbing drains are sloped. It ensures that water and debris are carried from the gutter without leaving standing water behind.