Sheathing under a metal roof on a carport?

Old 04-06-06, 09:05 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sheathing under a metal roof on a carport?

Hi,
new to the forum but its already helped me a lot in projects around the house. Thanks!

I have a carport "frame" built from 1.5" steel square tubing. Its about 8', 12' wide, and 16' long. I'd like to put a solid roof on it. Its basically flat, with enough of a slope so water drains. I'm thinking I will use corrugated metal roof panels.

It seems to me like it will be okay to just attach the panels directly to the frame (there's cross members to support them). I don't really need sheathing underneath it, do I?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 04-06-06, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 997 Votes on 908 Posts
As long as you can screw the steel down to the cross members, and the cross members are every 3 ft or so, you'll be fine. No sheathing is needed.

Old 04-06-06, 04:33 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Great, I was hoping someone would say that. After some thought, I've got a small workshop that needs a new roof as well. It has a nearly flat roof so I am reluctant to just use roofing felt and shingles - eveything I have read says that you need a steep pitch with that system.

So I guess that leaves me with a rolled roof type setup - felt paper/roofing tar/rolled roofing or elastomeric coating, OR

Think I could just use a corrugated metal roof on top of the rafters? Or maybe use some 1x4's perpendicular to the rafters for greater support? Living in Tucson, I don't think condensation will be a problem, and its not a living area or anything.

Thanks,
Jeff

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: