Roofwrap vs. Felt

Old 04-13-06, 04:34 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roofwrap vs. Felt

I was in Menards the other day and looked at what what appears to be a new product by Typar (at least, I couldn't find any mention of it in this forum). It's called roofwrap and it is a replacement for standard roofing felt. It's supposed to be better than felt because it doesn't wrinkle up from moisture or heat so always stays flat. Does anyone have experience with or an opinion about this product. Oh, also, it's lighter and 5' wide so it sounds easier to work with.

Thanks, Jim

Last edited by pyrocarp; 04-13-06 at 04:35 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-14-06, 04:19 AM
Pyro:
This has been around for about 3 or 4 years. We use it all the time. Works good, but more expensive then felt.

Old 04-18-06, 05:11 AM
P
That's good to hear that you use it a lot. And it is about double the price of regular felt. I'm curious to know why you think it's worth the higher price?

Thanks

Old 04-18-06, 05:33 AM
The reason it is worth the extra price for us is purely labor cost.
We can lay that on a roof twice or maybe even 3 times as fast as felt. For a DIYer it probably is not worth the cost because you do not have a labor cost. Just purely labor costs for us. Minutes are dollars. Hope this answers your question.

Old 04-27-06, 09:46 AM
P
why it's good

Thanks for your comments Jack. Last weekend I tore off my two layers of shingles and got my roof 'dried in' for the week. I ended up using the roofwrap and, from a DYI perspective, I think it is also well worth the extra $50 I spent. After the saturday tear off, I was so incredibly sore. The forecast for monday said rain so I had no choice but to drag my aching body back on the roof to put down the ice/water and roof wrap. Using this new stuff didn't reduce my labor costs but it did reduce my labor pains as I was able to get the roof protected much more quickly than with standard felt.

But I think the biggest advantage to the DYI'er is durability. I'm much more vulnerable to the weather than a contractor because I can only work a little each night after work with most of the job being done on the weekends. I read so much about wind blowing off the felt and that you have to use nails and lath or these plastic washers or you want to get your shingles up on the roof right away to hold everything down. As we started putting down the roofwrap, I was so tired that I decided to use the hammer tacker to get it all down then come back with the nails/lath etc., to keep it secure. But then I made a mistake and had to pull up a section. I really had to work at it. I know that standard felt will pull up and rip out of staples without much effort but this roofwrap is completely different. I feel much better about leaving it on my roof all week. It's not going anywhere with just the 3/8" staples! I decided to not to use the lath/nails and I haven't seen any problem this week (and we have had some strong winds).

Jim

p.s., I do not have stock in Typar! Just another DYI'er trying to pass on some helpful ideas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: