Installing New Gutters

Old 04-13-06, 01:18 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing New Gutters

I want to fit gutters on my house. Presently, the house has only a drip edge. But with a new roof and paint job just completed, I think adding gutters, (south FL location; lots of rain), is a wise move.
Never having done this before, can someone point me in the right direction? What's good, what to avoid, etc. Thank you!

Old 04-14-06, 06:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
While this is diy site, the best thing you can avoid in this particular case is doing it yourself. Call contractors in your area and get bids for seamless aluminum gutters. The stuff you can buy and put up yourself is an inferior product.

Old 04-14-06, 07:07 AM
W
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
On the other hand it all depends on what you are looking for. Seamless gutters are formed on site by a contractor using a special tool. As their name describes they are custom cut to length. There are no joints along the roof edge.
I have inferior DIY gutters on my home and garage. They are available everywhere in 10' lengths. They are several years old and have not been a problem. As far as I can tell the greatest risk is a seam leak. So far no leaks, but if it does I'll fix it.

Old 04-20-06, 11:03 AM
C
Quick update. . .I called around yesterday to begin the process of getting some quotes. Here in south Florida, because of all the hurricane damage last year, (and the official start of this year's hurricane season is fast approaching. . . ), it is difficult to find a company who will even pick up the phone. I actually had two companies tell me they aren't accepting any new work until they catch up to their current workload, with a five month time frame given.
That said, I was fortunate to have one company give me a tentative date for coming to the house for an estimate. But not until mid May. Another company I was able to get hold of came out today, unexpectedly, and quoted me approximately $6.65/linear foot. I have nothing to compare this to as of yet. Wondering if anyone has any opinions on this? As always, thank you.
BTW: the price quoted is for 6" aluminum, seamless gutters.

Old 04-20-06, 11:10 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Originally Posted by Carbo
Quick update. . .I called around yesterday to begin the process of getting some quotes. Here in south Florida, because of all the hurricane damage last year, (and the official start of this year's hurricane season is fast approaching. . . ), it is difficult to find a company who will even pick up the phone. I actually had two companies tell me they aren't accepting any new work until they catch up to their current workload, with a five month time frame given.
That said, I was fortunate to have one company give me a tentative date for coming to the house for an estimate. But not until mid May. Another company I was able to get hold of came out today, unexpectedly, and quoted me approximately $6.65/linear foot. I have nothing to compare this to as of yet. Wondering if anyone has any opinions on this? As always, thank you.
BTW: the price quoted is for 6" aluminum, seamless gutters.

Same problem I had (see my thread titled "another gutter thread"), nobody wants to do it so I have to do it myself.

Were it me I would take the $6.65 LF if they could do it soon. I would pay that in a heartbeat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: