Housewrap or Felt?

Old 04-14-06, 07:50 PM
allenb
Visiting Guest
Housewrap or Felt?

I am building a 24x32 Garage and am nearly ready to install the vinyl siding.The wall sheathing is 7/16 OSB.Which is better?,housewrap or #15 Felt, to install over the OSB ?I live in NC and the garage will be uninsulated,if that matters.
A couple of people have told me that it would be OK to install the siding right over the OSB,any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 04-14-06, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,002 Votes on 911 Posts
If you're smart, you'll install some sort of building paper in accord with the 2003 IRC building codes. Sure you can skip the building paper, but your OSB will eventually rot due to constant wetting when water gets behind your vinyl siding, just like all the other houses that have been sided without building paper. The past fall I recently did 10,000 worth of work to one gable end of a 15 year old home where they omitted building paper. (rotton windows, rotton sheathing)

So, whether you use tyvek or tar paper is up to you. Tyvek is faster to apply since it comes in larger rolls, and it is also vapor permeable. But since your garage will be unheated, that doesn't matter. Tar paper is cheap, so at a minimum, use that.

Old 04-15-06, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Either Tyvak or tar paper is just fine, but at least put one of them on. I prefer Tyvak since it is easy to put on, not that expensive and easy to use. but, tar paper is fine also. The main thing is to put something on before siding. Good Luck

Old 04-15-06, 10:38 AM
Housewrap or Felt?

Definitely put something on.

Vinyl siding is not meant to be barrier to moisture. That is one of the reasons they refer to hanging it, since it is loose and hanging in the wind and water can get behind it easily and get out (if you have a primary moisture barrier like house wrap or tar paper.

Dick

Old 04-15-06, 10:53 AM
You need to use something. Skipping this step will save you money now and cost you a fortune later.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: