Metal vs Shingle Valleys

Old 04-17-06, 06:50 PM
bobsox
Visiting Guest
Metal vs Shingle Valleys

Hi: I am about to have my roof replaced. Live in the Northeast with lots of snow and cold weather etc. I have always had Metal valleys installed with prior roof jobs. This time one of the contractors says he just overlaps shingles etc in the valleys instead of using galvinized metal. Suppose to be better job. I have had ice build up on edge of valleys before. Either way I am gonna have them put the Ice & Water shield on the entire roof instead of the 3' normally on edge of eaves.This will eliminate the need for felt paper as well which will off set the extra $500 to cover the entire roof which is about 20 sq. Does anyone have any idea which way would be better (Metal or Shingle Valleys)? Also there will be ridge vents along all peaks and the 2 dormers. I also have one roof vent cut in over the attic now but not sure if I need one or two with new roof or would the ridge vent along the entire attic run be enough ventilation? Thanks a lot for any ideas.

Old 04-17-06, 07:55 PM
W
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
A roofer can advise you about what material is best for roof flashing (I would guess galvanized, copper or lead but I'm not a roofer), but I think you are asting money by applying "Water and Ice" over the entire roof. It's just over kill. Compare the price of a roll of 30# felt to a comparable area of Water and Ice. IMO just run it along the eaves and gable ends.

Old 04-18-06, 07:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You must have alot of money. 20 squares of ice and frost is very expensive. Probably 3 times that of felt. Its your choice on valley metal. I use the W channel. Ice and frost on each side, W channel, and then shingle up to within about 3" of the W.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-06, 10:51 AM
bobsox
Visiting Guest
Metal vs Shingle Valleys

Thanks for the replys. I will have them redo the estimates and go with the usual 3' of ice and water shield. Also galvanized valleys make sense as well. Jack, what do you mean - you use the W channel? What is the W channel? The estimate I'm probably going to go with is $5,000.00 for the 20sq & 30 yr asphalt shingles. Strip the old layer off and add any new plywood as needed at a cost of $55 per sheet. Got 2 dormers so they added 10% more bringing total to $5500.

Old 04-18-06, 06:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The price sounds about right. W channel is just waht it implies.
It is about 12 to 16" wide. comes in straingt from each side and forms a W in the middle. Your roofer will know what it is. It allows water to run down each side of the W. Good stuff. Very inexpensive. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: