Design of a Roof/Deck Combination

Old 04-17-06, 08:17 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Design of a Roof/Deck Combination

I need some advice designing a Roof Deck Combination.

We have a garage (10' X20') that is build into a slope. It is effectively 3 concrete retaining walls. On top of the garage is a deck that is accessed from the top of the slope.

Presently there is a poorly built wood asphalt roof and right on top of that a wood deck. What has happened is all the dirt and water from the deck (and the planters on the deck) fall through the wood and build up on the roof below rotting out the roof and casuing it to leak.

We are going to rip out the entire roof and replace the deck. The preferred deck surface will be stone or tile. So the question is what is the appropriate roof structure to support this deck (approx 10' by 20').

Should I put trusses and poor a cement floor or can use wood construction?

If I use wood construction how do I ensure it is water proof?

If a cememt floor, what is the appropriate layering, etc. to create a water tight configuration?

What is the appropriate pitch for drainage of deck of this size (I know local codes may dicate this but I am interested in generally accepted practices).

Thanks for the help,
David

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-06, 08:02 AM
M
I blindly posted sort of the same question.. it would seem that a one piece pre-fab roof would be the best way to avoid leaking as it would be seamless, but just not sure that type of roof is intended to be used as a deck...

Old 04-18-06, 10:58 AM
S
Keep them seperate

If it were me, I would keep the roof and deck seperate.

Monoverb indicated in another post that he is looking at a rubber roofing system which is probably the best solution for a flat roof.

I would put a PT plate on top of the walls and span the 10' with floor joists for the deck which would keep the deck above the roof.

Obviously more expensive, but nothing good can come out of walking on a roof that you are trying to get to double as a deck.