How to wrap the edge of roof?

Old 04-18-06, 12:13 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry How to wrap the edge of roof?

My friend has recently installed vinyle siding. It looks good. But if you look at the edge of the roof, rain water will creep into the top of the siding. It means the asphalt roof cover is not wide enough to cover the edge of eaves of the house. How do we resolve this? He does not want to redo the roofing. Is it possible to just put a long piece of aluminum along the edges and wrap it downward to form a 90 degree to cover the siding? Of course, he has to seal the metal's edge with the roof that is a large asphalt sheet, not shingles.

I search the web, the product we need is a kind of "drip edge". But there is a wide gap there. The regular drip edge might not be able to cover the gap.

Last edited by lzhang; 04-18-06 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-18-06, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
When I'm installing siding on a house that has no overhang, I make a z-flashing which goes underneath the d-style drip edge flashing. I make this z-flashing on a metal break out of aluminum trim coil that is the same color as the siding. The z-flashing goes under the drip edge, but over the j-channel.

Old 04-19-06, 02:01 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you, XSleeper,
How can I create a nice shape z-flashing? what kind of tools did you use?

Old 04-19-06, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
As I mentioned, you bend the aluminum trim coil on a metal break. You can rent one from most rentals or building centers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: