uncut valley?

Old 04-20-06, 06:39 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
uncut valley?

We just bought a house that has a new roof - 1 yr old with 30 yr shingles, tear-off. We noticed water coming in around both of the chimneys and hired someone to take care of that. When he was walking around on the roof his comment was "this roof was built by a shoemaker." He said one of the problems was that the valley is uncut, the shingles are just laid down on top of it. Is this a serious problem? What will happen if we don't fix it? The roofer who installed the roof is MIA despite saying there is a "guarantee."

Thanks for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-06, 12:15 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can you define an "uncut valley"? I'm not familiar with the term.
Was your roofer referring to missing flashing or does he mean shingles that were bent to conform to the valley shape instead of metal flashing?

Old 04-20-06, 01:06 PM
D
I'm new to all of this, so I'll do my best to describe it. The roof has a very low pitch so where the two rooflines come together, the shingles were just bent a tiny bit and lay across the valley. I don't see that there is any flashing at all. The contractor fixing the chimney leaks said that the shingles should have been cut so that one side laid on top of the other.

Old 04-20-06, 09:34 PM
There are valleys that are not "cut". They are called "laced" valleys.
I, too, would need a better description of what you have in your valley.

Is there any way that you can take a digital picture and post it to the web so that we can view it?

Old 04-22-06, 08:19 AM
D
Pictures?

I don't have a webpage so I don't know where I could post some pictures but I did get a little more info. Apparently, they are not laced shingles but a "cross cut" valley where the shingles from one roof wrap under the shingles of the other roof. The top shingles are then cut to form a straight line in the valley. But our top shingles are not cut. My impression is that the job is okay but just not finished. Big problem?

Thank you!

Old 05-05-06, 09:04 PM
K
This is the new way of roofing valleys, at least in my neighborhood of SE Michigan. The tiles from one side go past the valley about 12". From the other side of the valley, the tiles are cut a few inches from the valley. It looks funny to you because it's not symmetric. What you have sounds normal to me. I understand this is superior to the old open valley look with respect to shedding water and staying leak proof. Take a look at the other houses in your neighborhood. You should see the same thing.

Old 05-05-06, 09:19 PM
It's probably a "California Cut" type of closed valley.
Look here and see if it's not what you have (or close to it).

http://www.roofer911.com/roofing_valleys.htm

Old 05-06-06, 10:31 AM
R
You can post pictures free at
http://www.imageshack.us/

No registration required, they provide links back to the picture.