nail popped head showing through shingle

Old 04-23-06, 10:43 AM
70chevelless
Visiting Guest
Question nail popped head showing through shingle

Hi,
The other day I noticed a water stain on our celling. I went up on the roof and seen a nail head that popped up and through the shingle. I was told that I should remove the nail then put a 2inch x 4inch piece of 50 pound felt paper folded where the old nail was! I thought that I could just put roofing cement or patch and then scrape some of them little pebble's from an unused shingle and embed them in the patch! I don't want to have to buy a whole roll of felt paper for a small repair. Can anyone direct me in the proper way of doing this? and is there something I can use that comes in smaller rolls than this felt paper like a patch kit or something? Thank you!

Old 04-23-06, 12:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Off topic: Your username. I like it. I had a 69 Chevelle ss once. Do yo know what the LS-6 is?

On topic: Surely fixing one nail pop can't be that big a deal. The biggest thing would be that if your shingles are white, and visible from the street that you don't want to just gob on a lot of black tar. But as far as the sealing goes...for one little nail hole, I'd say one can do whatever pleases you.

I'd give you a piece of felt if you were close because I have such strips on hand for slipping in the joints of asbestos siding shingles.

Old 04-23-06, 02:32 PM
70chevelless
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up LS-6 Oh YA

Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
Off topic: Your username. I like it. I had a 69 Chevelle ss once. Do yo know what the LS-6 is?

On topic: Surely fixing one nail pop can't be that big a deal. The biggest thing would be that if your shingles are white, and visible from the street that you don't want to just gob on a lot of black tar. But as far as the sealing goes...for one little nail hole, I'd say one can do whatever pleases you.

I'd give you a piece of felt if you were close because I have such strips on hand for slipping in the joints of asbestos siding shingles.
Wish I had it under my hood!. The LS-6 was the 450hp. version of the 454 with 500lbs of torque. The 450 horses were made at an incredible 5,600 rpm and the torque came on at 3,600rpm. Only 4,475 customers payed the extra $263.00 can you believe that. Then again in 1970 that probably was a lot! Also we need not forget the insurance companies who's rates on a muscle car were well above a regular car. I don't think the 10 miles to the gallon was a big thing yet. Those cars today if you can find on and document it are way out of range. The LS-6 was only offered that year to the public in 71 they offered it to the public but the hp was down to 425 then in May of 71 the engine was dropped completely. I mean you could get some wild rides through COPO if you knew the right people. Hell I wish I had the LS-5 this was the base 454 at 360 hp. No I have the 396 CID which actually is a 402 CID in 70 but she still gets up and goes. She has the L-78 version which cranks out 375hp. But don't confuse this with the L-89 with the same hp but had aluminum heads. The 1970 ss LS-6 was around new $4,800 compare this to a Vet of the same year at $5,200 and I guess back in 1970 that was a lot of money. What kills me is if you ever look on ebay everyone says they have a Chevelle ss with the LS-6 454 I read one that said it was original and had an automatic they never came with an automatic not the LS-6. So you really have to document them for the money there getting I'll never see one only at shows. Thanks for the tip on the roof yes it's dark color and I can't see doing all that just for a popped nail and no one can see it.

Old 04-23-06, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ccp this post of yours on our automotive forum here (at the top of the main sub forums page) where I brought up the LS-6 on a thread there, today. I too had the 396, mildly built for the street and it was an excellent stoplight to stop light runner. I ran it many times over 7k (because it sounded absolutely wicked!), until I blew it up one day. Holly, Crane Fireball 300, Rockcrusher, Hurst, Hooker, Mickey Thompson's

Please come to the automotive forum up top because I want to pose a question there maybe you could answer. I will start it now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: