Leak on underside of soffit

Old 04-29-06, 06:17 PM
BillyB
Visiting Guest
Leak on underside of soffit

I've had a problem with a ceiling leak in my den. In planning to remodel, I'm going about trying to fix this leak. What I've discovered is, the source appears to be where to soffit and the facia meet. Water appears to be seeping in, usually in heavy, blowing rains. Outside there is a gutter, which upon visual inspection appears fine. I beleive the prevous owner had the original facia and soffit covered with aluminum, but the original wood soffit is still there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this is occurring and/or where I should try to begin to correct this problem?

Old 04-30-06, 08:05 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What type of roofing and how far does it extend beyond the facia? Wicking back underneath can easily cause your (and several additional) problems.

Old 05-02-06, 08:06 AM
BillyB
Visiting Guest
There are two layers of asphalt shingles, extending approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches over the edge of the sheeting.

I've tried to retrofit a dip edge, thinking that the water may be curling along the underside of the shingles. However, that has not remedied the problem.

I greatly appreciate your input.

Old 05-02-06, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Soffit is usually below the level of your ceiling. Stick your head out a window and measure up to the soffit, then measure up to the ceiling. I'd be willing to bet that your soffit is about 4" lower than your ceiling and that the soffit and fascia or gutter have nothing to do with the leak in your ceiling.

You also never said where exactly the leak is located, but I assume it is located where the ceiling meets the wall?

I'd go outside and look to see what else is above that spot- a vent pipe, or dormer or chimney or roof vent? Anything? Let us know. Attach a link to some digital pictures if needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: