Vaulted Ceiling Insulation Problem

Old 05-04-06, 01:07 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vaulted Ceiling Insulation Problem

Our family room has a large vaulted ceiling. There is bat-fiberglass insulation in the ceiling. We are in the process of getting bids for a composition re-roof. There are ventilation issues that need correcting.

One problem that I notice was when I went into the second floor attic and shined a flashlight down at the top of the insulation for the vaulted ceiling below. There is very little to no gap between the insulation and the underside of the roof sheathing.

I can see how this can create a problem with convection air flow from the eave vents upward to the topside roof vents. What I am looking for is ideas on how to correct or improve this issue. I can gain access from the attic or from the eaves...the eave access would be much easier is expect without dealing with a cramp space, heat and roofing nails poking.

Is there some type of product that can be slid upward from the eaves between the insulation and the roof sheathing to ensure adequate air flow?

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas, Casey

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-06, 04:11 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have similar problem with two small (5’ wide by 7’ deep) peaked roof dormers at the front of the house. The side ceiling is also vaulted. Even though the two dormers have soffit vents there are no other means for air to exit. The roof framing creating separate voids further complicates this issue. Additionally these voids are filled with insulation. Even with ridge venting the insulation obstructs the air circulation. I suppose that a way should be found to vent the dormer roofs?