Roofing Proposal: Can vs Ridge venting

Old 05-08-06, 08:35 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Roofing Proposal: Can vs Ridge venting

We are in the process of getting bids to reroof our house...tearing off the old composition shingles and replacing with arch-type composition. Roof pitch is 10:12 with attic spaces at ridge areas.

One roofing bid shows different options and prices of using can or ridge venting.

Another roofing bid priced out ridge venting only. I sent an email asking for an amended bid showing both can and ridge venting. The reply I got they do not use can vents because they do not work well and will not warranty and if I insisted on the can vents they will lower the warranty. (Their statement did not make sense: will not warranty vs lower warranty if can vents used...which is it?)

I am sure there are pros and cons of each can vents and ridge vents for any given situation. I am getting the feeling that this bid is trying to force us into using ridge venting.

Also, will not give me pricing on the amended bid unless I tell them how they look in my decision...

Kinda get the feeling that this aint right...am I wrong or missing something?

Old 05-09-06, 02:18 PM
W
Received 18 Upvotes on 15 Posts
Just my opinion because I'm not a roof expert, IMO ridge vents have the advantage over other methods because they run nearly the entire length of the ridge. If the roofers can get an adequate opening area along the ridge for your attic I would recommend the ridge vent.
If you Google "roof venting" you can learn all about different methods and how to calculate your needs.

Old 05-09-06, 04:25 PM
A decent % of roofers hate ridge vents. I do not care for them at all. It also depends on your current venting. Do you have gable, soffit, ridge or cans now?

Old 05-10-06, 08:39 AM
C
I have "googled" the heck out of this subject to the point I dream about it at night...not good. Was wondering Hellrazor...how come ya'all don't care for the ridge vents? Any details you can share? I always listening to all sides of a subject, good way to learn. Currently we are leaning towards the ridge venting.

Old 05-10-06, 08:41 AM
C
Oh, forgot to add....we current have can vents with soffits, gable end vents and a powered fan in one end of the gable. What I am starting to realize is that I might be messing up the whole dynamic system of air flow with our current setup.

Old 05-10-06, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
Messing up the dynamic is a nice way of putting it.

Hurricane prone areas often have trouble with ridge vents since 150 mph wind will blow rain right up the roof and down the ridge. Can vents have a 2" lip that makes it harder for water to blow up and in. Snow can still blow in can vents if the conditions are right, and some will blow into unfiltered ridge vents too.

Whether or not roofers hate ridge vent really isn't the issue... unless they have some reasonable basis for not wanting to use them. Ridge venting is the best way to provide equal ventilation in all parts of a roof. Can vents ventilate the rafter bay they are located in the best, and their effectiveness in adjacent rafter bays is decreased the farther away you get from the can vent.

Some roofers might not want to use can vents because novice roofers (read: low quality subcontractors) sometimes don't know how to put them in without creating a leak. Those that don't want to use ridge vent probably feel it is more time-consuming. You'll probably run into a percentage that don't give a rip about your ventilation too, so thats something to consider when weighing the estimates.

Old 05-10-06, 12:43 PM
C
Red face

Up here in the northwest don't get much hurricane winds...and if we did I would be buried in large fallen fir trees. We are giving ventilation a very serious thought. Plan to do some testing to make sure we have the correct air flow too.

Old 05-10-06, 05:08 PM
Well the old style ridge vents allowed wind driven snow and rain in rather easily. The new ones have a fiber mesh inside of them that most people think will clog over time surely if you have trees near the house.

Soffit + ridge or can vents is ok.

Soffit + gable + ridge is not.

Old 05-10-06, 05:35 PM
C
Thanks Hellrazor...we going with ridge vent + soffit. Heard that the roofer uses Cor-a-vent for the ridge vent. This vent seems to be liked from what I have read on a variety of forums.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: