flashing near addition

Old 05-09-06, 03:12 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
flashing near addition

I am trying to fix my moms roof. Looks like it is leaking near an upstairs addition. The addition runs half the length of the house and stops above the downstairs bathroom. It is vinyl sided and looks like the J channel is sitting on top of the old roof. There is already some kinda tar layed there (must of leaked b4 she got the house) any suggestions how I can figure this out. I am ripping out the ceiling in bathroom to see if I can get a better look (water damaged) Probably been going on for a while. Thanks. Will post pics if needed.

Old 05-09-06, 06:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Remove the vinyl siding to get a better look at the flashing. Usually the flashing is applied over the top of the building paper, but sometimes it's a good idea to lay building paper over the top the flashing. That way if water is somehow getting onto the building paper it won't run behind the flashing.

Vinyl siding will allow water behind the siding at any window, vertical j-channel or corner post, so even flashings need to be "flashed".

Old 05-09-06, 07:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ok

that is what i thought might need to happen. I appreciate the help. Thanks alot!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: