Leave old ice & water on?

Old 05-15-06, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leave old ice & water on?

Here's the deal. Getting a new roof in a few weeks. Contrator said the ice and water is sometimes so hard to get off that they just put a new layer of ice & water over the old stuff. Is this common practice? Will it hurt? I'm in Minnesota.

Old 05-24-06, 04:44 AM
C'mon, no one knows anything about this?

Old 05-24-06, 02:59 PM
M
I'm not a roofer, just a DIYer. If the ice/water shield you have was peel and stick, it's stuck. Unless you remove the wood, it's not going anywhere.

I don't see how 2 layers of the stuff will hurt you, but I'll defer to one of the experts (like Jack or makdragon)

Old 05-24-06, 07:33 PM
Yes.
The old ice & water can be incredibly difficult to take off.
It is ok to go directly over it with another layer in most cases, BUT, the issue with going right over that membrane with more ice & water is the surface of the old product.

There are different surfaces to these ice & water membranes. Some have plastic surfacing which will allow another I&W to be applied directly over it, but some I&W membranes have "coal fines" as a surface and another I&W will not stick very well to it.

As a general rule, though, you can leave the old and go over it with new.

Good luck.

Old 05-25-06, 04:28 AM
B
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I'd leave it on. The only thing you might do is "walk" the entire area to look for any soft spots that would indicate a sheathing problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: