How many bolts...

Old 05-19-06, 11:32 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How many bolts...

I will be building a roof over my back porch. (8x16)
How many 1/2x4" lag screws should I use for a 2x6x16 ledger going into brick.... not brick veneer. This is a true brick construction built in the mid 50's. I know about 2 screws at each end. What I'm not sure is the spacing between the rest of the screws. I was thinking of one every 12" in a zigzag pattern, but was told this was overkill. The roof joists will be 24 on center.

Thanx!

Old 05-19-06, 12:17 PM
The correct answer to your question is none. 4" bolts are way too short. I would something in the 6" or a lttle longer range.
You will have to predrill through the bricks, and then hit the studs in your walls. This is a very touchey type of job. Good Luck. Oh yes, you will need one in every stud. So it will be about 16".

Old 05-19-06, 12:42 PM
K
Studs? You have got to be kidding. The houses in my area built in the mid 50's are not stick. In fact the only full size studs are in the interior walls. The perimeter walls have furring strips instead of studs. The brick walls are the length of one brick thick. In other words, there are two layers of brick. That means the walls are about 8" thick. On every fifth course, every other brick is turned in. This way the inner and outer layers are locked together. Think of the house having two brick shells.

Still go with 6" lag screws or what?

Old 05-19-06, 12:50 PM
All right, if you have a double brick wall, you will need longer bolts. Thats just how it is. You do not want your roof to blow down in a storm and take a big chunk of brick with it do you ???
You did not say you had a double brick wall in your original question. You asked about 4" lag bolts.

Old 05-19-06, 12:53 PM
K
Ok, 6" lag screws. What about the spacing?

Old 05-19-06, 01:29 PM
I would stick with 12" spacing. Some may think this as over kill, but I have never had anything fall down in 40 years. Bolts are cheap anyway. Better to be safe then sorry.

Old 05-19-06, 08:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Has anyone ever tried a method where you bore with a cement drilling bit into the brick and then drive in dowels ...perhaps coated in epoxy. Then drill holes for lags somewhat undersized so that when you screw in the lags it exerts outward pressure in the dowel to grab the brick? (Similar methodology as using plastic wall anchors...only much stouter.

If kptinker were to attempt to go through the ledger + 2 layers of brick and the gap in between and then into a stud, that is the only way a regular lag will be effective. And you would need a REAlLY long lag. Otherwise a shorter cement style lag will do. But I like the dowel approach. A lead shield type anchor may also do the trick. I'd be leary of using drop in anchors though out of fear of cracking the brick. (In solid concrete though, these are the ticket)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: