roofing while raining

Old 05-20-06, 06:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
roofing while raining

Can you lay tar papper and roof your house while it is raining?
Here is the deal, it's only over the eve. I have a very bad back and weather ( wind , pain , ect ) has kept me from finnishing it like I would like to. I replaced all the wood on 1 side of my house over the eve ( a 3' X 50' area ) and I need to finnish it do to storm after storm coming in. I'm thinking the wood will dry out ( 1x6 with 1/2" gaps ) but don't want to do it if it's just going to rot again.

Last edited by glasman2; 05-20-06 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-20-06, 01:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No. Tar paper for some reason defies the law of heat expand/cold shrink. And when it gets cooler and rains or even gets dew, the tar paper will get waves in it. And many of the lightweight shingles on the market today will allow the wave pattern of the tar paper to telegraph through...forever! Uhggggg!! I have seen such many, even new constructed houses, where, when the sun shines at just the right angle, you can see all the waves in the shingles, aparently caused by this. Uhggg! I'd sue the roofer if he did this too my house.

When the sun comes out and it warms up, contrary to what you'd think...the tar paper actualy draws nice and tight, even after it HAD waves in it from the morning cold/dew.

If waves concern you in the paper, like me, you can always make sure you or someone lays the tar paper and the shingles together as they go, rather than tar paper it one day and come back the next day to shingle, no matter what the weather is like and regardless if the waves are in the tar paper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: