need more attic ventilation

Old 05-30-06, 05:33 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
need more attic ventilation

Our house is cooled by a large enough heat pump, but gets extremely HOT as the day progresses. We can have our thermostat set on 60 in the a.m. and be freezing, but by afternoon the inside temperature is at 75. Our roof only has one vent at one end of the house only. We think we need a ridgevent and probably need ventilation in the vinyl overhangs also. We're not really sure how to go about this and wonder if this should alleviate our problem. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Robert

Old 06-01-06, 07:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well I going to here it again from you guys! Venting an attic is old ways! You can not get enough air flow to cool of the attic more than a few degrees! You can not get enough air flow in the ridge vent or overhangs to make any difference! The new tech way is to seal the attic up completely with spray foam (NO VENTS). This keep the attic up to 50 degrees cooler and shingles only 3 degree warmer. No I would not do this on an old home but bet your @ss I would on a new home. If it was mine (old home) Id have to gable vents and a atick fan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: