Repairing the facia and eave

Old 06-15-06, 09:53 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Question Repairing the facia and eave

Working on a house that the roof reshingled about a year ago. However, instead of them fixing the facia and eaves where there was water damage, they just reshingled. Now the owner would like to repair the damaged areas. One section of damge is about twelve foot long and extends from the facia in about eight inches. The other section is only about four foot.

My question(s): Do I need to replace the entire two foot of eave or can I get by with just replacing one foot (enough to repair the damaged area)?

What are my chances of pulling up the shingles and being able to reuse them when I go back together with the roof?

Is there a easy way to do this? My plan is to start removing shingles until I have enough of the roof exposed to replace the sheeting and facia. Than reinstall the drip iron and shingles. My big concern is the twelve foot section, seems I will have quite a lot of the roof exposed to replace this much sheeting.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 06-19-06, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
Is the roof sheathing rotton? Or just the fascia and soffit? No need to tear shingles off if it's just the soffit and fascia!

Old 06-20-06, 08:03 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Unfortunity, the soffit had suffered water damage from the previous leak. I don't know why they didn't replace it when doing the roof, but they didn't. So now it is down to removing the shingles and repairing the soffit and facia, than reinstalling the shingles.

I am pretty handy, just haven't done this particular job before, just was looking for any hints or advice prior to jumping in with both feet.

Thanks for your interest.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: