roof leaking / bad contractor

Old 06-20-06, 11:07 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry roof leaking / bad contractor

I hired a roofing contractor Nov. 2005 to tear off my old roof and install a new one.
I hired this company based on a positive referral. I just recently found out the company was sold to someone else before I had the work done, and I was never given this information.
I got my new roof installed at the end of Nov. 2005. Ever since (now going on 8 months later) I still have a water leak every time it rains. It is impossible to get this guy to return my repeated phone calls. When I first noticed the leak, (within days of the install, and after full payment was given) I called the guy and left voice mail messages for him to call me. I would call 1-2 times a day until he would call me back. This usually would take somewhere between a week or two before he would contact me. After all this time, he has come back to do repairs aprox 6-8 times. He still has not fixed the leak. He will not return my calls now. I have tried for the past 3 weeks. No call back from him. I reported his company to Better Business Bureau. I later found out BBB is basically useless. Going back over my paper work I found out the permit was pulled by a different company.
I contact the other company and they said they would try to help me out by contact the original company and have them contact me. This has not happen yet.
I have water damage to my ceiling; the popcorn finish has fallen off. I am unsure at this time to the damage in my attic and possible wall due to the water coming in. There also may be some mold and mildew due to this water intrusion.
Can someone please offer some good advice to solve this problem?
I do not have the resources to hire another company to come out and fix the leak then seek damages from the original company.
If I have to file a lawsuit against the roofing company should I also file against the company who pulled the permit?

Old 06-22-06, 10:22 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
More than likely the contractor who did you roof didn't have a license to pull the permit. If a lawsuit should ensue the licensed contractor should be liable for most damages.

Did the roofer ever go up in the attic either during a rain storm or with another person on the roof with a garden hose? This is some times the one and only way to source a stuborn roof leak.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: