3 different roofing estimates to reshingle

Old 06-29-06, 10:03 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 different roofing estimates to reshingle

I live near Niagara Falls Ontario and I need to have my roof reshingled. I have had 3 estimates and each guy tells me something different from the last with very different prices. So I guess I am questioning all 3 of them. First of all, when the roof is reshingled, do I first need tarpaper over the entire roof or just 3 feet from the evestrough? Secondly, I have an aluminum dripedge all the way around and does this need to be replaced or can the old one be reused? Thirdly, I am wondering what to do about the vent pipes. They are aluminum aswell so do I need new ones or is it ok to reuse the old ones? My last question involves my chimeney. The roof slopes down to the chimeney which is 6 feet long and water has a tendancy to pool against the chimeney.....so do I need some sort of saddle built going back up the roof from the chimeney to help the water from pooling in this area? thanks so much.

Old 06-29-06, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The really quick answer:
Yes. you need "tarpaper" or "felt" over the entire roof. However, you would need some sort of "ice & water shield" at the eaves (3 feet) and in the valleys. That may be what they're talking about.
I would always go with new drip edge and vent pipes, but it is not at all unusual to go with the old ones depending on their condition.
You definitely need a cricket on the backside of the chimney to divert the water.

Maybe someone else can give more detail, but I'm short on time and I'll be gone for a week.

Good luck.

Last edited by Delirious Nomad; 07-01-06 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-30-06, 09:40 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You need to cover the entire roof with a 15 pound felt paper and a 3 foot stick-on membrane (RESISTO) at the evestrough to protect against ice dams (6 feet on low slope roofs).The front of the chimeny should be flashed in a triangular fashion to divert water away from it.The old vent pipes should go(RUST).The dripedge should stay if in good condition.Good luck

Old 06-30-06, 09:52 AM
dougger
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Still learning
I live near Niagara Falls Ontario and I need to have my roof reshingled. I have had 3 estimates and each guy tells me something different from the last with very different prices. So I guess I am questioning all 3 of them. First of all, when the roof is reshingled, do I first need tarpaper over the entire roof or just 3 feet from the evestrough? Secondly, I have an aluminum dripedge all the way around and does this need to be replaced or can the old one be reused? Thirdly, I am wondering what to do about the vent pipes. They are aluminum aswell so do I need new ones or is it ok to reuse the old ones? My last question involves my chimeney. The roof slopes down to the chimeney which is 6 feet long and water has a tendancy to pool against the chimeney.....so do I need some sort of saddle built going back up the roof from the chimeney to help the water from pooling in this area? thanks so much.

First of all you should demand ice and water shield two rows on all your eaves and 15 or 30 pound felt paper on the rest. The drip edge should be ok to re-use. Have new vents installed and make sure a cricket or saddle is built on top of your chimney.

I was in the Thunder Bay Ontario a couple months ago and was amazed to see a crew of three roofers shingling with basic three tabs on a huge building with no ice and water or felt. To me two rows of ice and water and felt is a no brainer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: