Continuous leak barrier/moisture question

Old 07-18-06, 10:24 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Continuous leak barrier/moisture question

I'm preparing to re-roof and am considering using a leak barrier such as Protecto-wrap or GAF's Storm Shield over the full roof deck. I live near the coast and my rationale is that if I lose shingles in a hurricane I'll have another layer of defense against water damage from rain. My concern is whether using a leak barrier for the entire roof instead of only selected areas such as valleys, would I be creating a problem of moisture retention and/or condensation? Should I stick to using a felt underlayment for most of the deck and reserve the leak barrier for the more vulnerable areas?

Old 07-21-06, 09:57 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
used it in the valley also.
I always do

Old 07-21-06, 08:29 PM
B
wally774,

i think what you are considering doing is should be code.
over-engineering is always better than the under doing it.
if it were me i would do the whole roof and while i was at it
re-enforce the roof structure(braces,screw downs,etc).

i don't know where you live other being on a coast that is prone
to bad weather, but make sure also that they (contractors) don't skimp on the materials to put the new shingles up, one of our properties on the s.c. coast had all new roofs installed, and the next year they all blew away because the contractor was spreading the shingles. moral: get better than the best if at all possible and learn yourself all you need to know about roofing
with-out actually getting on the roof. we are always here to help and give you feedback, just let us know, and how the project is going.
barry

Old 07-24-06, 05:02 PM
If you can afford to put a self-adhered product over your entire roof, then I would absolutely do it.
That would be a roof in itself and the shingles over it would be extra protection and decoration.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: