Is step flashing required?

Old 07-23-06, 12:06 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is step flashing required?

My roof does not have step flashing around the sides of the chimney. The flashing is a single piece of galvanized that is installed under the shingles, over the paper, and overlaps the bottom piece of flashing. The area I live is hot in the summer, with light California winters. There's an occasional freeze and a heavy storm might drop 8" of water in three days.

Is this going to cause a problem? Is step flashing required? What advantage does step flashing have over a single piece of metal?

Old 07-23-06, 12:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The step flashing isn't required, I'm sure, but it is preferred over the single piece. The single piece runs from bottom to top with only one avenue for the water to run. Step flashing on the other hand creates a barrier at each shingle in a cascade design, and protects many times over what the single sheet will do. In addition, we usually grind a groove in the chimney and return the step flashing into the groove with silicone to ensure a proper seal. Hey, at least it is flashed! I have seen installations with only tarpaper turned up and tar on the shingle edges.

Old 07-24-06, 10:15 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I did it myself before I really understood how the step flashing is used. I put two layers of ssingle piece flashing, one under, one over, the paper. The upper layer does overlap the bottom row of shingles. I really don't want any water getting in there, ever.

The previous installation did exactly what you describe. Counterflashing was installed, but was no flashing on the chimney. No wonder it leaked. I gooped a whole can of henry's around it to get through the winter. I found some really scary stuff once I pulled the roof up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: