attic venting and effect on shingle longevity

Old 07-25-06, 11:48 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

If an attic is improperly vented, or a standard composite roofing assembly is placed above a living space that has no attic, will the hotter attic space decrease the life of the shingles? What about the roof decking, ply or OSB? We have a roof that looks worn prematurely. I am adding gable vents, but am curious as to whether I am taking the appropriate steps to solve the problem.

Old 07-25-06, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Poor venting leads to higher temperatures. The higher temperatures will definitely shorten the life of the shingles.

Same thing applies to shingles laid over a previous layer.

Dick

Old 07-28-06, 02:17 PM
Wink

The attic calls for 1sq ft of vent for every 150 sq ft of attic space 1/2 in and 1/2 out.
If you take the sq ft of the attic X 0.07 = the CFM attic fan you need .

ED

Old 08-01-06, 01:13 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Too bad you already installed gable fan. I went to Lowe's and got the ShingleVent II ridge vent. They come in 4' sections, and are simple to install...just remove ridge shingles (when not too hot), use circular saw to cut out decking, lay down product,
then renail ridge shingles. You could actually still install this, but running gable fan simultaneously will decrease efficiency of ridge vents. If you don't have turbine vents or powered/passive
roof vents, try the ridge vents. You just have to make sure you have sufficient intake venting at soffits for air flow thru roof. Our temps in the attic dropped 10-15 degrees.

Old 08-01-06, 05:08 PM
Thumbs down

Ridge vents got outlawed in FL The wind can drive rain back up into them. I hear up north they get blocked by the snow. The ones that have that filter like pad in them they say in 5 years they are all blocked up and air dont get out . Go with the fans on a stat

ED

Old 08-01-06, 06:56 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Or you could air seal attic and not have to vent!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: