Window Sill Water Collection

Old 07-25-06, 07:33 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window Sill Water Collection

EXTERIOR: I have to sills - four inches and each six feet wide. I will not replace them. But over time they have started to collect water instead of having it run off. I'd like to some how just tilt them better. This area gets rain but no sun so when they get wet they stay wet.

Can I but a thick plastic strip to fil and tilt it outward and caulk it? Or would aluminum work? I have a lot of caulk around the windows now so I'd like to just add somethign and add more caulk. The sills are about eight feet off the groun so appearance is not top priority - preventing rot is!!

The trim around the sills I have jsut replaces due to rot and w/o a good fix the sills are next.

Hope this is the right place to put this question.

Old 07-26-06, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
If they are collecting water, your sills are in bad shape. It sounds like what is happening is that as the house settles, the front edge of your sill is staying put, but the back side of the sill is sinking. It could be because the back side of the sill is no longer supported or connected to the jambs. I've seen this a lot with windows that are in really bad shape.

If you won't be replacing the windows or the sills anytime soon, my advice would be to cut some wooden fillers to shim the back side of the sill up, then clad the entire thing with aluminum trim coil. Most rental places and even some home centers will rent metal breaks. They're easy to use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: