Metal roof: Flashing a dormer ridge

Old 07-26-06, 05:59 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Metal roof: Flashing a dormer ridge

I hope you guys can help me out here. I am getting ready to re-roof my house where I will be covering over the old shingles with a new metal roof. I will be doing the work myself as usual. I have installed metal roofing before, so I am fairly familiar with the process, but I am concerned about flashing around a dormer ridge. I cannot visualize how to make the ridge of the dormer tie into the two valleys AND into the existing roof without leaking. Can anyone explain, or better yet show a picture, of how to do this? Thanks in advance...

Old 07-28-06, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Hard to show for sure. You have a upside down V for the ridge cap. Take and cut down the center of the bend say 12". now each side bend up like to fit the valley. the end of the cut would now be at the roof. This would let you have a big open V in the other roof. Bend up a metal V with a slip on each side so the V will slide down in that V cut and close the hole. Just solder it in or dope it. if you use a storm valley Id let them come together and not run the ridge all the way to the other roof

Hope you got it ED

Old 07-30-06, 03:15 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help ED. I decided to get someone (a pro) to help me out on the project. This is one project that needs to get done right the first time!

Old 07-30-06, 04:39 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs up

If its copper . For such get it right the first time. Copper cost is out of this world now.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: