Window Well Installation ??

Old 08-05-06, 10:32 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Window Well Installation ??

I have a basement window below grade, we've had alot of rain this summer and water is coming into the basement. So I figured I'd better install a window well. I bought the well, and started digging, luckily it's all sand where we are and this can be done by hand. I got about 6" down and found the 4" ABS pipe for the septic system. It comes out of the basement just below grade and take a 90 o turn and runs along about a foot from the foundation.

What can I do to improve drainage without risking damage to the septic pipe? I'm in Ottawa where winter is fairly cold, if this is an issue.

Thanks for any help.
Michelle16

Old 08-07-06, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
yes it could cause problem
you need to be below the freeze line if not the pipe will freeze up
i would go 3 feet deep at least and run a pipe from the well to a ditch or low spot and have water drain there

Old 08-07-06, 09:13 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The window is in the back yard, and it is a fair distance to go to any low spot. I was wondering if, instead of a standard corrugated window well, what about retaining wall blocks to make the well area. Could I dig down to gravel footing, place my drain pipe. backfill with gravel up to the pipe then cover over with sand?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: