Installing a Metal Roof

Old 08-08-06, 11:03 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a Metal Roof

I have a 12' x 16' storage shed with a flat roof (6" drop from front to rear along the 12' side) which currently has rolled roofing installed and being that the last storm removed a portion of it I want to replace it with a metal roof . I have checked our local home depot and they have what I would call standing seam metal roofing material in 26" widths and 6' to 12' in length. The questions I have since the clerk at home depot could not answer are:

1. What is used to fit between the ribs along the roof edges to prevent water, birds, etc. from getting access ?
2. What is used along the length of the sheet at the edges of the roof to seal it ?
3. What material is installed between the wood roof and the metal, rolled tarpaper or ?
4. How are the metal roof sheets attached to the roof, screws or slider clips ? What is the better screws or clips ?
5. If I were overlaping the metal lengthwise how much overlap is needed to ensure rain will not run up under it ? and should the seam where the overlap is done be sealed with something ?

Any assistance will greatly be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-06, 06:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
While the metal is 26" wide it only covers 24" the v crimp on the edges over lap to create a seal. Generally a metal roof is installed over slats [plywood not used] but I would think it would be ok to install it over felt on your shed.

Lead head nails or nails or screws with a rubber washer [which seals the hole] are used to conect the metal to the roof.

Is your pitch a full 12' in length? If 12' metal doesn't have some overlap on both ends you will need to add some flashing. I suppose you could use both 6' and 8' lengths to make the metal long enough.

Old 08-09-06, 07:56 AM
W
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Roof

Try the roofing manufacturer web site for installation instructions.