Repair Barn Roof - Tin

Old 08-18-06, 12:42 PM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
Repair Barn Roof - Tin

I recently acquired an old barn that has a corrugated tin roof that has developed some leaks on one side. The barn does not have alot of value, but I would like to salvage it if possible. My first question, is there any material that can be painted/applied over a tin roof that will help to stop some or all of the leaking. If my only option is new tin, can I place it over top of the exsisting roof.

Thanks Jay

Old 08-18-06, 01:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

There is a fiber base roof coat that you can use.
Home depot and Lowes have it. You can get just a black roof coat that they have or there is a white that is used on tile roofs. Also the trailer companys have one that is a Aluminum color. looks the same has the fiber base in it. They say is cooler??????
NO NO NO if you replace it take all the old off

ED

Old 08-18-06, 04:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 740 Upvotes on 646 Posts
The fiber aluminum coatings can stop minor leaks but aren't all that good for repairing major leaks. Unless the roof has rust holes most leaks can be fixed by renailing loose tin and using caulking where needed. Rust holes can be patched when metal.

I prefer the brand of alum fiber coating that lowes sells [silver dollar] but most brands are similiar in price and quality. A heavy coat needs to be applied for the 'paint' to be effective at sealing.

Old 08-18-06, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,698 Upvotes on 1,523 Posts
It's not likely that a roof coating of any type will fix your tin roof. If it's leaking, it likely needs to be repaired (like if something has come loose, or was not flashed right in the first place). Also, sometimes those old roofs were put on with roofing nails, and they have a way of working loose over the years as the wind makes them rattle and vibrate loose. Pulling all the loose nails and replacing them with 1/4" hex head barn screws (with neoprene washers) might stop a lot of leaks, because when the nails come loose, it is a drain hole for water- especially if any holes are in the bottom of the ribs instead of the top of the ribs. Renailing existing nails often does not help when the nail is going back into the same old rusty hole that it came loose from in the first place... especially after a few years of water running down into it, rotting the wood.

Unless there is some tin missing, it's not likely that you need to replace any of the tin- just be sure it is fastened down correctly.

Old 08-19-06, 04:23 AM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the advice. Jay

Old 08-19-06, 01:07 PM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Barn roof

Xsleeper is correct.

I would add that you will have go up on top of the roof to find out if there are nails loose or missing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: