Ridge Vent at hip edge

Old 08-20-06, 11:01 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ridge Vent at hip edge

Looking at putting some ridge venting over 2 lower parts of my roof. Main ridge is turbine vented, but these lower sections are over master b/r and garage (U shaped roof) and have no venting. Problem is that I have some moisture in my attic and think some added venting would help....just don't want to cut holes for turbines since these 2 roofs are about 6' lower than higher ridge. I have soffit vents about every 6-8' all the way around house. Question is, this is a hip roof (no gables), so is there some hints I need to know when cutting slits in decking?
(ie. how far from the ridge corner to start ridge vent?)

Old 10-25-06, 12:37 PM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Using a circular saw: Cut about two inches on both sides of the peak removing a total of a 4-6" area of the plywood and stopping about 1-1 1/2 ft from the end of both sides of the peak.

Lay roof caps on both ends of the peak (continuing off the hip caps that are already there) . Install the rige vent coming in about 1-2 ft on both ends making sure your vent covers at least two roof caps ( do this to prevent any driving rain from making its way under the vent and into the house ).

Old 10-25-06, 01:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id cut some buttom vents in near the ridge. Ridge vents and turbines Have been outlawed by code in some parts of Florida

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: