cost of maintaining a roof

Old 08-22-06, 01:39 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cost of maintaining a roof

I am looking at costs of maintaining roofs and would like to hear if people have suggestions how I could compare costs of roof maintenance of a ranch house (where roof is mostly flat) to a cape house (with usually steep roofs but lots of nooks). I am a potential buyer and looking for a roofing 101 in roof maintenance costs.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-06, 06:01 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I didn't know their where cost to maintain a roof!

Old 08-23-06, 06:50 AM
W
Most roofs in my area are asphalt shingles. Other than reroofing when the shingles wear out, there is no real maintenance required.

Old 08-23-06, 10:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
A low pitched roof is less likely to sustain wind damage but more likely to leak when the shingles wear out or get damaged.

A steep roof is less likely to leak but is more susceptable to wind damage. Any time there are valleys that funnel the water, this is an area where failure can show up first.

Old 08-23-06, 11:23 AM
U
Since I noticed you live in Mass., another tidbit - steep roofs usually handle large snow loads better than flat roofs. Not as much tends to stay on a steep roof. If you are building vs buying, be sure your roofer uses a membrane at the eaves to prevent leaks due to ice dams.

The life of your roof (sort of equates to cost/time = maint) is also affected by its composition. Slate lasts longer than asphalt, but costs a lot more initially.

Some roofs are easier for the DIYer - low pitch single story roofs are easier to work on than 20/12 pitch two stories. Asphalt is easier to install than tile or slate. No special tools required for asphalt, but would be necessary for steel.

Not maintenance oriented, but from a marketing standpoint - what do the other houses in the area have? If all your neighbors have slate and your house has asphalt, will that make yours look bad (read: sell slower/lower)?

Old 08-24-06, 08:45 AM
Antisipated life and maintainance needs will vary depending on type of covering, i.e shingles, tile or built-up roofing.

Homeowner roofing "maintenance" cost should be negligible unless it is nearing time for replacement or possibly the original installation was of marginal quality and is in need of repair.