Roof sheathing/rafters failing??

Old 09-05-06, 09:36 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof sheathing/rafters failing??

Garage roof starting to sag - the sheathing look like particle board - can't tell thickness, the portions that are sagging have 2X4 rafters that are spanned to far.

Shingles are new - roof not leaking. Is there any way to correct this w/o ripping roof?? Should I "sister" 2x6 to the 2x4? SHould I try blocking?

The other half of roof seems okay in that its not sagging, however they apparantly installed the sheathing over the planks on this half and I'm concerned about weight. (Although there are no 2x4 on this side).

Old 09-05-06, 09:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
The roof sheating is probably 1/2" osb, sometimes called chip board. 24" on center is normal spacing for roof trusses.

Did the old roof leak at the weak area? Is the affected area sagging between rafters or did the sheating miss the edge of the rafter? Adding additional framing may help. If possible jack up the low area so the repair will keep it at the right height/level.

Old 09-05-06, 10:04 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
roof sheathing/rafters failing

Just sagging - bought the place last November - just starting to rehab the house now - so I don't know if Gargae leaked previously. Sagging between rafters - I'll try adding framing and blocking..... Jacking it will probably be the way to go....thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: