Almost Rebuilding

Old 09-08-06, 09:36 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Almost Rebuilding

Hello, I am new to the site and am looking for help. My mother has lived in an 87' trailer since she has bought it brand new. She is far from a carpenter and needless to say I just moved back in and the place is in shambles. I am probably going to end up having to almost completely rebuild and I don't know where to start. Can anyone out there help with where to begin...Roof, Ground, Interior, Exterior??? Any input would be nice.

Old 09-09-06, 05:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Probably the best place to start would be to fix any leaks, either from rain or plumbing. Roof leaks can usually be fixed with a little tar but often water runs down the siding looking for a way in. Caulking is usually best for the ext walls.

You will probably need to replace some of the flooring. The damage is usually limmited to the exterior walls and where there are [or have been] plumbing leaks. Most MHs have 5/8" particle board floors which are very susceptible to water damage. You should cut out the bad areas and replace with plywood or OSB. Sometimes it is preferable to overlay plywood across the whole floor. The damaged areas should be fixed first - otherwise that area will always be weak and subject to more decay.

hope this helps,
mark

Old 09-09-06, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Yes, welcome d_fcrumbley,

Mark is right on with starting repairs on the basics.
If you describe in great detail the condition of the trailer and what repairs are needed we may be able to help more.
Links to pics if you want.

Several years ago we bought a mobile fixer-upper to live in for a couple of years and liked it enough to stay for nine years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: