Installing Ridge Venting - do I need to remove old vents?

Old 09-09-06, 02:24 PM
X
xor
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Installing Ridge Venting - do I need to remove old vents?

I'm redoing the asphalt shingle roof on our new (to us) home and want to install a continuous ridge vent. Do I need to remove the 2 existing gravity vents on the one side of the roof?

If so, what is the easiest good way to patch the hole? I'd rather not have to replace the entire plywood sheet if I can avoid it.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 09-09-06, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I dont like ridge vents are use them. Some code's now say you cant use them. Snow can block them. The hard wind in a rain can blow the water back up and into the home. Button vents near the ridge and vents in the over hang. The ridge vents with the filter like in them jams up later on from the dustin the air. Id just put some more button vents in

Ed just My .02 cents

Old 09-10-06, 07:01 AM
W
Received 14 Upvotes on 12 Posts
I had ridge vents installed when I had my roof redone. They are a huge improvement in my attic ventilation. I would guess that 99% of the new high end homes in my area are built with ridge vents. The advantage of ridge vents is that they are located at the highest part of the roof and they extend for the majority of the roofline. This makes them more efficient for venting a gable roof. Just be aware that roof vents also need soffit and/or gable end vents for best air movement. When I built my garage I installed roof vents. I have never had a problem with snow or water intrusion in ridge vents.

I don't know what areas of the country no longer allow ridge vents. I would make a call to the local building department to find out of they are OK where you are. Both my jobs were permitted and inspected so I guess they are OK here.

If you are concerned about holes in the roof sheathing there's a couple of ways to fix that without replacing a whole sheet of sheathing. I'm not sure what you are callin "gravity vents". Different areas of the country us different terminology. Can you describe them?

Last edited by Wayne Mitchell; 09-10-06 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-10-06, 07:41 PM
X
xor
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vents

Yeah, I've heard the other vents called a lot of things as well so I don't really know what the correct terminology is.

I'm just refering to the standard Square or Round vent that seems to be pretty standard on most roofs. Basically when you remove them you are left with a round or square hole around 6-10 inches in size that you need to cover.

What's the best way to cover a hole that size so that it's strong enough to walk on?

(Any further comments from anyone on ridge vents would also be appreciated!)

Old 09-11-06, 06:15 AM
W
Received 14 Upvotes on 12 Posts
XOR - I would cut a doubler from plywood and install it under the old vent opening. Use some 2X to support the new piece. then cut a filler piece of plywood for the hole to match the sheathing thickness.

GOOGLE "ridge vent" to get some more info on their design and function.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: