Ice buildup on roof with gutters

Old 09-16-06, 04:26 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a 90 degree section of roof -- where 2 roof sections come together - i am sure there is a name for this -- and it creates a long channel from the rooftop to the edge.

in the summer water runs down the channel and into the gutters and down the downspout.

in the winter there seems to be a build-up of ice right at the bottom of the channel - the inside corner of the 90 degree roofline and creates huge icicles filling the gutters with ice and dripping down onto my front steps...

is this due to lack of insulation in the attic -- allowing the snow to melt or do i need to change the gutters or roofing?

house in Ottawa Canada -- standard shingled roof

thanks!

Old 09-16-06, 04:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If I have it right you mean a metal valley. As I cant see it. Id say go for a heater tape up there they make them for just the ice dams that you say you have. Look for Thermwire Melt snow and ice melting cable they have another call Safe-T-Melt Roof and gutter heating cable.

ED

Old 09-16-06, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Make sure you have good ventilation under the roof in the area. If not, you may have to resort to the band-aid heater tape approach. Sometimes you just get too much snow build-up based on your location and orientation.

One thing about the tapes - you may melt the ice around the tape, but it could freeze later downstream unless you run the tape in the gutter and downspout.

Instead of all the hardware, a snow puller every once in a while will remove the excessive snow and let Mother Nature do her job. Snow pullers are light and relatively cheap and have very long handles. The downside is that you have to think about after every couple of snows.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: